Who Needs (or Should Take) HAZWOPER Training?

OSHA designed HAZWOPER training to reduce the risk of hazardous material exposure for workers who clean up, treat, store, and dispose of it.

OSHA regulations require HAZWOPER training for the following job profiles (and their supervisors):

  • Treatment, Storage, and Disposal Facility (TSDF) Personnel who handle hazardous waste during treatment, storage, and disposal. This occurs at facilities regulated under the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA).
  • Uncontrolled Hazardous Waste Site Operators involved in characterization, cleanup and remediation at uncontrolled hazardous waste sites.  These can be stabilized emergency sites OR older sites where potential contamination has been discovered. These operations include:
    • Cleanup required by a governmental body
    • Voluntary cleanup at sites recognized by a governmental body
    • Corrective actions involving cleanup at sites covered by RCRA
  • Emergency Responders in charge of containing, controlling, and stabilizing an emergency involving hazardous materials. They may be working at the site of an accidental release of hazardous substances or at a site with a serious threat of accidental release. Examples include:
    • Local fire departments who might have to respond to chemical fires or overturned HazMat trucks
    • Facility workers dealing with an uncontrolled leak or spill
    • Railroad emergency response teams presented with a ruptured tank car

But HAZWOPER training can also reduce the dangers to workers in any of the following hazardous working conditions:

  • High concentrations of toxic substances, in any context
  • Immediately Dangerous to Life and Health (IDLH) environments
  • Conditions that pose the risk of a fire or explosion
  • Oxygen-deficient atmospheresHAZWOPER training is designed to address these exact hazards, and they can occur outside of regulated HAZWOPER jobs.

    Additionally, if you’ve never taken HAZWOPER training before, or if your training has seriously lapsed, you need to take one of two initial courses. The course you need is dictated by your potential exposure.

Learn More