Most Generous Celebrities
1. Actress Jami Gertz and her husband Antony Ressler — $10,569,002
To the Ressler Gertz Foundation. Grants from the foundation include $1.7 million to the LA County Museum of Art, $400k to Cedar Sinai Medical Center.
2. Musician Herb Alpert –$9,104,829
To the Herb Alpert Foundation, which focuses on the arts, compassion, and well being.
3. Actor Mel Gibson — $6,853,020
To the A.P. Reilly Foundation, which he started to support Holy Family Church.
4. Director, Producer, Writer, George Lucas — $4,250,000
To Lucas Film Foundation then granted to The George Lucas Educational Foundation with a mission to inspire and empower young people to become responsible citizens, compassionate leaders, and to live their dream.
5. Writer Nora Roberts — $3,000,000
To the Nora Roberts Foundation, which support literacy. Additional areas of focus are: children’s programs, arts organizations, and humanitarian efforts, with local organizations being its priority.
6. NFL Player Ndamukong Suh — $2,600,000
$2 million to the Nebraska University athletic department and another $600,000 to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln College of Engineering to endow a scholarship. It is the largest single gift ever from a former football player.
7. MLB Player Lance Berkman and his wife Cara — $2,412,245
To The Lord’s Fund, a foundation they established. Grants include $400k to Josiah Venture, a Christian youth movement in Eastern Europe, and $113k to Children’s Cup, a Christian organization focusing on “forgotten children” in Swaziland, Mozambique and Zimbabwe, and efforts are also underway in Vietnam and the Philippines.. Most of their giving is to Christian-based organizations.
8. Actress Meryl Streep and her husband Donald Gummer — $2,000,000
To Silver Mountain Foundation for the Arts, a foundation they established. Grants include $100k each to Oxfam America and Partners in Health; $1,225,000 to Vassar College. Total grantmaking for the year was more than $2.1 million.
9. Television Producer Marcia Carsey and her husband John Carsey — $1,870,000
To Carsey Family Foundation they established. Grants include $250k to Media Matters for America, $100k to Institute for America’s Future, $50k to Progressive Talent Initiative.
10. Simpsons’ Co-Creator Sam Simon — $1,800,000
To The Sam Simon Foundation to “save the lives of dogs to enrich the lives of people.” The Foundation manages a number of programs including a mobile veterinary unit, dogs for veterans, and dogs for people who are deaf or hard of hearing.